September 05, 2014

Posted by Sherri Flemings | File under : , , , , , , , , , ,
Please kids, don't try this at home!

Actually, you SHOULD try this. It was so much fun, even if it it didn't turn out quite the way I wanted, it did turn out to be one of the coolest birthday gifts I've made so far, for the coolest dude I know. I will try to overlook the horrendous event horizon of gross fluff that still haunts me and threw a dark shadow over my love for this cake and share the making of the most epic cake I've made so far.


I threw myself into this project. We talked about nothing else for about 2 weeks. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the original sketch, but our cake brainstorming went something like this:
J: Hey babe, I think I'd like a Stargate cake this year.
S: Cool. That might be tricky, but I think I can do it.
S: Oh man! What if we could have a tardis coming out of the stargate?
J: And spock!
S: Oh, and we could put a jaws fin in there too... we should keep it simple, and that's funny.
J: Maybe a sandworm too? That might be easy.
S: We could have the wicked witch of the east's feet sticking out of the bottom of the cake. That would be awesome.
It went on like this for a while, basically until there was waaaaay too much to fit on one cake.

After re-reading some of my cake decorating books, and blogs and you-tubing a whack of how-to's I set out on the main attraction, the TARDIS topper. I created a template that would fit within the cake and stargate measurements and stand about 4 inches tall.
12 pieces of hand cut and painted fondant. I didn't have a square cutter, so these panels took longer than I'd care to admit. The wood grain effect was created by dragging a modelling tool around the surface until it looked like wood.
I icing-glued the panels to a super squished compact GF rice cereal treat I made. It was tough to get it even, especially since I goofed and made all the panels the same size. I think they would have fit better if I made the 2 sides a bit smaller than the front and back pieces. I sculpted the door hardware and the lantern on top, the signage is courtesy of our printer.
I was really happy with how this turned out, even with the mistakes. I could have stopped here, and plopped this on any old cake and it would have been just fine... but Sherri doesn't stop at 'just fine'. I'll scrounge up the Lego figures in progress and add another post about them soon.

Just in case soon turns into 'not soon', here's a shot of the finished cake.
Did I mention it was gluten free? 

Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment